I have a few quirks when it comes to being a stay-at-home mom, one of them being the fact that I wear makeup on a daily basis. There are two reasons that I stick to this little guideline of mine: 1) I believe that my family deserves to see me at my best (not just the random strangers I might happen to pass at the grocery store) and 2) For me, the effort of putting my makeup on helps me feel like I’m prepped and ready for the day (just like a sports player putting on their jersey).
My makeup bag is comprised of almost exclusively “clean” makeup – makeup with little-to-no harmful chemical content. Since this is something I commit to as part of my daily routine, it’s important to me that I not coat my skin in harmful chemicals or ingredients that can affect my hormonal balance over time (yes- that’s really a thing!). If you’re unfamiliar with choosing cleaner cosmetics, hop over to www.ewg.org/skindeep where you can easily search for the products you’re currently using and see how they score.
In addition to having makeup that isn’t going to harm my body with long-term use, it’s important to me that my makeup wears well. It MUST go on smoothly and quickly and it MUST be long-lasting.
With those guidelines, I’d like to share with you what’s in my makeup bag!
1. Tarte Amazonian Clay Full-Coverage Foundation. This is by far my favorite foundation. It gives excellent coverage, blends nicely, and last for months and months (even with daily use).
2. Tarte Smooth Operator Pressed Finishing Powder. Nothing too fancy here… Just a powder to set my foundation and kill some extra shine.
3. bareMinerals All-Over Face Color – Warmth. This isn’t usually on my daily list, but at 7 months pregnant, I appreciate something that can give the effect of slimming my face a little bit. (This one is all about vanity, folks. Ha!) I give a light sweep to my cheekbones.
4. Tarte In Bloom Eye Shadow Palette. This is a really nice, diverse set of eye shadows. Some are bolder (date night, baby!), but many of them are nice neutrals that are perfect for everyday. This set will last me forever.
5. Tarte Precision Longwear Eye Liner. Eye liner is a must for me. Otherwise I look like a sleepy 10 year old. Ha! I’ve found this to be a really nice hybrid of traditional pencils and liquid liner. It goes on easier than a pencil, but doesn’t smear around like liquid tend to do.
6. Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara. Again, nothing too fancy here: just a good, clean mascara that wears wells, yet washes off easily with warm water.
7. Tarte Tarteist Lip Liner. This seems like a bit overkill for a daily look, but I feel like my lip color lasts better if I define my lip shape with a liner first. I stick to a color close to my natural lip color, so the 1990s don’t make a reappearance. Ha!
8. Rimmel Lipstick in Airy Fairy OR Sweet Savvy Minerals Lipstick in Abundant. Full disclosure… the Rimmel lipstick isn’t the sparkliest, cleanest available, but it’s affordable and a great neutral shade. The Sweet Savvy Minerals lip color is really nice. It’s not the longest lasting available, but it is really, really clean.
Special Occasion Additions:
These are things that are in my bag, but only receive occasional use. I save these for date nights, special parties, etc.
1. NYX Matte Finish Spray. This stuff is crazy awesome. Makeup ain’t going no where once you spritz this on. I don’t use this on a daily basis (maybe every few weeks instead). Items that aren’t in my daily rotation are less likely to be clean – if it’s something I only use once or twice a month, I don’t feel a need to invest in more expensive “clean” products.
2. Covergirl LashBlast Volume Mascara. This is a perfect waterproof mascara. Builds nicely and won’t budge. (Perfect for the times when your dearest friends get married and you’re crying buckets of happy tears.) I’d recommend removing with coconut oil.
3. NYX Wonder Stick. This work well for some really basic contouring. It blends in really easily with my foundation.
4. Rimmel Lipstick in Dusty Rose or Tarte Lipstick in Playful. I prefer close to nude shades for daily wear, but a darker neutral or pop of color for special times. These both fit the bill nicely, without being overpowering.
5. Tarte Tarteist Blush Palette. I often stick just to the bareMinerals warmth powder I mentioned above, but if I want a little bit of color in my cheeks, I choose one of the four colors in this palette. Again, this one will last forever. The colors are highly pigmented, so a little goes a long way.
1. Thieves Essential Oil Blend Spray. This is a simple cleaning spray (it’s great for shopping cart covers or to spritz on public toilets, but I’ve also found it helpful for spritzing on my makeup brushes to keep them clean and fresh!
2. Young Living Tea Tree Essential Oil OR Melrose Essential Oil Blend. These oils are renowned for skin support. I apply to areas of my skin as needed, in the evening, after removing my makeup.
3. Toner. We shared this simple recipe last year here on Canvas and Table. I sweep it over my face to remove my makeup and to keep my skin fresh.
4. Coconut Oil. Nothing removes eye makeup like coconut oil. Seriously. I keep a jar under my bathroom counter for this purpose.
Leave a comment below and tell us all about your daily skin routine!
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. Should you order through these links, we will receive a referral commission off your purchase from Amazon. Don’t worry- this does not affect the purchase price of the product. Thank you for helping support Canvas & Table and helping us create fresh content!